This Privacy Statement sets out how United Business Media Sdn Bhd and its holding, related and subsidiary companies, including but not limited to, UBMMG Holdings Sdn Bhd (collectively referred to as “UBM Group”, “us” or “we”) collect, store, process and handle personal information (as defined below) of individuals in accordance with the Personal Data Protection Act 2010 (“PDPA”) and such other applicable laws of Malaysia.
This Privacy Statement will assist your understanding of how we use the personal information we may collect from you. By providing your Personal Information to us, you consent to this Privacy Statement and the collection, use, access, transfer, storage, sharing, disclosure and processing of your personal information as described in this Privacy Statement.
This Privacy Statement explains:
- The kind of personal information we collect
- The method/s by which we collect your personal information
- How and when we disclose your personal information
- How your personal information is utilized by us
- Circumstances in which your personal information is transferred abroad
- Your right to access and seek correction of your personal information
To ensure that you can make informed decisions and feel confident about supplying your Personal Information to us in written, electronic or print form as well as when using any of our UBM Group websites, Products and/or Services, this Privacy Statement outlining our practices and the options you have with respect to your Personal Information that is collected and used by us.
2. What is Personal Information?
Personal information is any information which relates directly or indirectly to you. This includes any information used to distinguish, identify or contact you. For the purposes of this Privacy Statement, personal information encompasses sensitive personal information which relates to information relating to your health, political opinions, religious beliefs, etc. For the avoidance of doubt, please note that this Privacy Statement is applicable only if you are a natural person / an individual.
3. The Personal Information We Collect
To enable us to provide you with our Products and/or Services effectively and rendering you with the best service possible, it is necessary for us to collect relevant personal information from you. The personal information collected by us may include (but is not limited to) the following:-
- contact information such as your name, date of birth, identification supporting documents (including NRIC or passport number), gender, nationality and race, preferred language, current private and/or business address, telephone or mobile phone number, fax number, email address
- the status of the Products and/or Services you have acquired from us or subscribed to
- Payment information, e.g., credit or debit card information, including the name of cardholder, card number, billing address and expiry date and bank account details
- The types of our products and/or services that you most frequently utilize
- your personal interests and preferences to help us tailor offerings of our Products and/or Services which would suit you best
- recording of your image via CCTV cameras when you visit our events and exhibitions
- recording of calls placed by you to us for the purpose of service improvements
- Technical information, e.g., IP address
- Statistical data such as number of our products or services utilized
4. How Do We Collect Your Personal Data?
We may collect personal information directly from you when you:-
- communicate with us (for example when you submit an application form to become our customer, client, exhibitor, participant, or when you contact us for any enquiries including by calling our offices)
- register or subscribe for any Products and/or Services or our publications (for example, newsletters)
- Attend any of our Events, Exhibitions, Seminars or Meetings in any capacity whatsoever
- participate in any of our surveys
- enter into or participate in any competitions, contests or loyalty programmes run/organised by us
- register interest and/or request for information of (through our online portals or any other available channels) or subscribe to our Products and/or Services
- respond to any marketing materials we send out
- commence a business relationship with us (for example, as a service provider/business partner/exhibitor/speaker)
- visit any of our offices or over the telephone
- visit or browse our websites
- lodge a complaint with us
- provide feedback to us (for example via our websites or in hard copy)
- From publicly available sources
Other than personal information obtained from you directly (as detailed above), we may also obtain your personal information from third parties we deal with or are connected with you (credit reference agencies or financial institutions), and from such other sources where you have given your consent for the disclosure of information relating to you, and/or where otherwise lawfully permitted.
5. What Do We Use Your Personal Information For?
We may collect and use your personal information for one or more of the following purposes:-
- to verify your identity
- to assess and process your application(s) /request(s) for our Products and/or Services
- to provide you with the Products and/or Services you have requested
- to administer and manage the Products and/or Services we provide you (including charging, billing, facilitating payments and collecting debts)
- to investigate and resolve any regarding our Products and Services
- to assess and/or verify credit worthiness
- to detect and prevent fraudulent activity
- to manage our networks
- to keep in contact with you and provide you with any information you have requested
- to engage in business transactions in respect of Products and/or Services to be offered and provided to you
- to establish and better manage any business relationship we may have with you
- to process any communications you send us (for example, answering any queries and dealing with any complaints and feedbacks)
- to help us monitor and improve the performance of our Products and Services, our customer relations teams and service providers and the UBM Group Websites and to make these more efficient
- to manage staff training and quality assurance
- to notify you about benefits and changes to the features of our Products and/or Services
- to determine how can we improve services to you
- to produce data, reports and statistics which shall be anonymised or aggregated in a manner that does not identify you as an individual
- to investigate, respond to, or defend claims made against, or involving the UBM Group
- to conduct marketing activities (for example, market research)
- to maintain records required for security, claims or other legal purposes
- to comply with legal and regulatory requirements
- for any other purposes that is required or permitted by any law, regulations, guidelines and/or relevant regulatory authorities
6. Disclosing Your Personal Information
As a part of providing you with our Products and/or Services, we may need to disclose information about you to the following third parties:
- law enforcement agencies
- government agencies
- companies and/or organisations that act as our agents, contractors, service providers and/or professional advisers
- companies and/or organisations that assist us in processing and/or otherwise fulfilling transactions and providing you with Products and/or Services that you have requested or subscribed for
- Credit card verification providers, data warehouse and other third parties in order to process your commercial transactions
- our business associates and other parties for purposes that are related to the purpose of collecting and using your personal information
- other parties in respect of whom you have given your express or implied consent
subject at all times to any laws (including regulations, guidelines and/or obligations) applicable to the UBM Group.
7. Direct Marketing
We may use your personal information to provide you with information about our and third party services and/or products, which may be of interest to or benefit you, except where otherwise requested or notified by you.
In certain instances, we may disclose your personal information to our preferred merchants, service providers and strategic partners. However, please note that we will only disclose your personal information to said parties where you have subscribed for particular Services or Products which require such disclosure, and/or where your consent has been obtained, subject at all times to any laws (including regulations, guidelines and/or obligations) applicable to UBM Group.
We take reasonable steps to ensure that our agreements with our merchants and/or strategic partners include appropriate privacy and confidentiality obligations.
If you do not wish your personal information to be utilised for the purposes of marketing or should you change your mind in relation to your previous decision, please contact us at the UBM Data Privacy Officer via the contact details provided below. Your latest written instructions to us will prevail.
8. Your May Access And Correct Your Personal Information
Where you wish to have access to your personal information in our possession, or where you are of the opinion that such personal information held by us is inaccurate, incomplete, misleading or where relevant, not up-to-date, you may make a request to us by contacting the UBM Data Privacy Officer via the contact details provided below. You should quote your name, address and phone/account number and provide brief details of the information you want a copy of in any such request.
We will use reasonable efforts to comply with your request to access or correct your personal information within 21 days of receiving your request.
Please note that we may have to withhold access to your personal information in certain situations, for example when we are unable to confirm your identity or where information requested for is of a confidential commercial nature or in the event we receive repeated requests for the same information. Nevertheless, we will notify you of the reasons for not being able to accede to your request.
9. Your Obligations
You are responsible for providing accurate and complete information to us about yourself and any other person whose personal information you provide us and for updating this personal information as and when it becomes incorrect or out of date by contacting the UBM Privacy Centre via the contact details provided below. This obligation is a condition to the provision of our Products and/or Services to you and/or any other person authorised or permitted by you or your organisation/company to use the Products and/or Services.
In the event you may need to provide us with personal information relating to third parties (for example about your spouse or children or where you are the designated person in charge (from an organisation or company) for dealing with us, if you are acquiring and are responsible for a service and/or product that they will use), you confirm that you have (i) obtained their consent or otherwise entitled to provide their personal information to us and for us to use accordingly, and (ii) inform them to read the Privacy Statement here.
10. Online Dealings With UBM Group
We collect information about your use of our websites from cookies. Cookies are packets of information stored in your computer which assist your website navigation by customizing site information tailored to your needs. Cookies in themselves do not identify the individual user, just the computer used. You are not obliged to accept cookies. If you are concerned, you can set your computer either to accept all cookies, to notify you when a cookie is issued, or not to receive cookies at any time. However, rejection of cookies may affect your use of our websites as we will be unable to personalize aspects of your use of the website.
Links to Third Party Websites
Please be informed that this Privacy Statement applies solely to UBM Group Websites and does not apply to any third party websites you may access from our websites. To determine how they deal with your Personal Information, you should ensure that you read their respective privacy policies.
11. Transfer Of Your Personal Information Outside Malaysia
It may be necessary for us to transfer your personal information outside Malaysia if any of our service providers or strategic partners (“overseas entities”) who are involved in providing part of a UBM Group Products and/or Services are located in countries outside Malaysia or if you use the Products and/or Services from a country other than Malaysia. You consent to us transferring your personal information outside Malaysia in these instances. We shall take reasonable steps to ensure that any such overseas entities are contractually bound not to use your personal information for any reason other than to provide the Products and/or Services they are contracted by us to provide and to adequately safeguard your personal information.
12. Amendments To Our Privacy Statement
Note that this Privacy Statement may be amended from time to time in accordance to applicable laws and regulations and such variations may be applicable to you. The latest version of this Privacy Statement will be made available to on our website.
Our Contact Details
Should you have any queries, concerns or complaints in relation to this Privacy Statement , kindly contact us during office hours (between 9:00am to 5:00pm, Mondays to Fridays) in one of the following ways:
Data Privacy Officer
A-8-1, Level ,8, Hampshire Place Office, 157 Hampshire, 1 Jalan Mayang Sari, 50450 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia